Martha Raye &
Her Boys in Vietnam
Martha Raye, affectionately nicknamed "The Meanest Mother in the
Valley", was an exceptionally brave woman; a movie star who nursed and
befriended SF Green Berets, in Vietnam .
This is the story of Colonel Maggie and a
handful of those men whose bravery & heroism is illustrated in 100's of
colour & b/w period images and text.
Part One - Concentrates on episodes
from Martha's many trips to Vietnam and the reasons she became a legend.
- Discover how her special relationship with the famous
"Green Berets" brought her right to the fore of the conflict, visiting small
bases for SF Recon Teams.
- Read how, when the unit she was with, came 'under
fire', she went into nurse mode, helping the medical team or comforting
- Find out why, she was also affectionately nicknamed
the, "Meanest Mother in the Valley"
- View many colour photographs of actual artefacts and
presentation diplomas, plaques, uniform, insignia, letters and documentation
presented to SF Colonel Maggie and now in the Martha Raye Vietnam Archive.
(acquired by the author in 2006).
Part Two -
Focuses on in-depth profiles, full of enthralling stories of heroism, from just
a handful of members of SF Green Berets secret projects or operations and
clandestine recon missions in Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia. .
- Guest profiles of Special Forces related heroes
including a USAF Fighter Pilot, who uniquely volunteered to go on an actual 5th
Grp USSF Mike Force mission and survived to tell the tale.
- The background story of the 5th Grp Green Berets, their
special projects and secret missions in Vietnam, which still remain clouded in
a secrecy that few outsiders have penetrated.
- Get a rare insight into the life of the code named CIA
secret Agent, who was running ex Viet Cong members in the secret and highly
controversial Phoenix Program with photographic material.
- Many photographs & illustrations of rare actual 5th
Grp Green Berets uniforms, insignia, photographs, and documentation, RT patches
or Valour awards and citations.